Pages

Sunday 29 January 2012

Dorothy Hill, School Lollipop Lady 1973 - 1984

It seems a long time ago, 1973 in fact. My husband had died at the beginning of the summer holiday that year. Mr Maskell, the headmaster, asked me if I would consider taking the job of School Crossing Patrol. I didn’t think it would be possible as my children all came home for their dinner at lunchtime."No bother” said Mr. Maskell, “I will see the children across the road at lunchtime if you could manage the morning and afternoon duties". So it was. My youngest daughter, two year old Frances, would come with me, rain or shine. In very cold weather, wrapped in a blanket in the pushchair with a hot water bottle. Over the years I got to know all the children by name and Frances was the same. She couldn’t wait to go to school herself.

One particularly bad winter there was a great deal of snow and I armed myself with a shovel and cleared the pathway and some of the road. I believe a number of parents helped me at the time. In my memory I don’t think the school ever closed for bad weather mainly because the teachers lived locally and were able to get to school by foot.

Mrs Dorothy Hill, School Crossing patrol - 1974
In 1977 I had the honour of one of the pupils, Neil Munro, nominating me for ‘Lollipop of the Year’ but unfortunately I didn’t make it to the finals.

I had two scary moments whilst working. It was at the afternoon crossing with children leaving school. I had stepped out on the road to stop a car approaching down the hill from Wokingham. I could tell it wasn’t going to stop so I shouted ‘WAIT’ out very loud to a boy and his mum. The car passed me and ended up in the hedge at the corner of Lower Church Road and the High Street. The driver was very apologetic and shaken (and so was I) as apparently his car mat had got stuck under the brake pedal and he was unable to stop. The other time was when a lady motorist had stopped at the crossing and whilst I was still in the middle of the road chaperoning the children across she accelerated and Jan Parsons ended up on her bonnet. Fortunately Jan sustained bruising and no broken bones. But I thought it appropriate to report the lady. At the hearing the motorist said that I had beckoned her to go which I would never do until I was off the road. The motorist got fined £25.

Once Frances went to school it allowed me time to participate in helping at the school. With  a number of parents we cooked, helped with reading, swimming, arranging a rota for swimming at the weekends and looking after the quality of the water, outings, sewing costumes for plays etc. In time Mr. Birch asked me if I would be willing to help put together all the books in the classrooms and combine them into a Library which was to be built. I accepted and learnt library skills which enabled me to take up a Librarian post in a comprehensive school later.

I recall one outing I went on. It was to the butterfly museum at Syon Park. We went on a double decker bus  and a had a lovely day. We were on the return journey (having lived in that area as a child I was very familiar with eth route) and we were having a sing song when the bus stopped. The driver was returning a different way and was trying to go under a very low bridge. There could only have been inches to spare but with guidance from the roadside he managed to get through.

Mrs Hill Leaving presentation, January 1985
As I said earlier I managed to get a “proper job” as a school Librarian having acquired the library skills at St Michael’s for which I was very grateful. I left for this new job in December 1984. In the January of 1985 a special farewell assembly was arranged and I had a marvellous ‘send off’ from children and staff.

Mrs Hill, 2012
St Michaels has been part of my life for many years and I have enjoyed many happy hours since my retirement carrying on helping at the best school I know.

Added 12 March 2012 - Mrs Hill receives a name check in this 1985 photo.

1 comment:

  1. Mrs Hill !! (for that is what you will always be know as to me!) So good to see you on here, with your recollections of St Michael's! As soon as I saw your first photo, it bought many memories of you flooding back! I am Matthew Stokes, Top Row, 1st of left in your leaving presentation photo! Many thanks for being such an integral part of St Michael's for me and hundreds...thousands of children! What a fantastic school...with clearly the best lolly-pop lady ever!

    ReplyDelete