Pages

Wednesday 15 February 2012

Cammie Evans 1997 - 2003

(I was at St Michael's from Jan 1997-July 2003)

Cammie Evans in 2008
People always wonder how I remember so much of my childhood, and it’s true – I have hundreds of specific memories, little stories that I bring up when I’m reminded of something. I remember the ancient computers in the reception classroom, black screens with green writing, and the chess game Rebecca Thair and I once got told off for misusing, when we failed to understand the rules and instead started whacking the keyboard, aged 6! I remember when all the new playground equipment and the obstacle course arrived, the excitement on the first day we were allowed to play on it, and the broken bones that ensued as countless children tripped over that dangerous tightrope by the infamous ‘ant wall’. I remember sliding down the diagonal beam of the blue climbing frame, and sustaining an injury – a massive splinter in my stomach that still lives with me today! I remember the Year 4 classroom finally getting a whiteboard – in 2000! But it’s not these specific events that make my childhood memories so happy. When I think of St Michael’s I think of the spring mornings singing about new lambs leaping, the sun creeping through the blinds on the hall window. I think of the hot summer afternoons, whiling away happy hours in the blazing sunshine of the playground and lazing in the shade of the willow tree, stilt races, skipping, rained-off sports days watching Lakeside videos in the hall while eating ice-lollies, playing cricket at the field, writing Ufton Court and Lakeside books, and watching Swallows and Amazons. I remember Yanomamo, Colours and the Christmas Nativities; the decorations hanging from the hall ceiling and the big Christmas trees, the box of birthday badges, the PE equipment stuck fast to the hall walls, to be desired but never used until Year 6! The excitement of finally being allowed to sit on the benches in assembly, once you’d reached the top of the school, and of course the magical last days of St Michael’s, swimming and cricket at Wellington College, a barbeque and water-fight against the teachers, and a tearful, never-to-be-forgotten final assembly. I feel so lucky to have lived such an idyllic childhood, and I thank every child and teacher who contributed to that throughout my years at the school.

1996 Reception Class


1996 - 97 Reception Class at a class reunion in 2008
(Named version)

No comments:

Post a Comment