Pages

Sunday 19 February 2012

Mrs Scott nee Lord 1998 - 2008

Miss Lord 2003
Oh my gosh! Where do I begin? St Michaels holds very special memories for me indeed. My name is Mrs Scott - but I would have been known as 'Miss Lord' for most of my time at St Michaels. I joined the school, after graduating from Reading University in 1998 I think and it was my first teaching post. I loved it so much, I stayed for a very happy 10 years and was so sad to leave. I still look back to St Michaels with fond memories and have made such fantastic long-life friends through my work there and started my teaching career in amazing fashion - nothing has quite matched up to it since!  St Michaels is not just a school, it is a 'home' - everyone is looked after and made to feel so welcome. The children are the centre of its' being and the staff (and I mean everyone from dinner controllers, to classroom assistants, to office staff) are so caring and creative, it makes the learning and pastoral experience so amazing.  If your child is at St Michaels you should feel so privileged - I hope when my twin girls go to school, they have half the care, attention and love that children receive when they are part of St Michaels.

I remember my interview clearly. It was very relaxed and Mr Davies (the Head at the time) made me feel at ease - I actually thought he was part of the Admin staff at first!! I worked that day with Mrs Priestman while I waited for my interview - painting violets with the children in Reception - and little did I know, that she would become my mentor and very good friend!

I remember Mr Boulain, a very serious man (or so he would have us think!!) - who at the time was the Deputy Head. He then became the Head, which we were thrilled about.  Myself and the staff were sad when it was time for him to leave but enjoyed writing a personal report for him, including his ups and downs at St Michaels!

My fondest memories are those where the children had such fantastic opportunities, which we were privileged to be part of, like the amazing performances and productions that took place, often organised and run by Mr Catton and, when he left, Miss Evans and Miss Saunders - all amazing musicians.  Mr Catton even played at my wedding for me!  I always enjoyed the Year 6 end of year assembly in Church (where we would all blub because they sung that song that always made us cry - tradition!!) and Mr Cotterill always made each one very unique and special, just like the children he had taught for the year.  The BBQs were always good too, though I often tried to be involved with the cooking, to get out of the Rounders game!!  The water-fights were always tremendous at the end of the event, and Mr Cotterill seemed to come up with more bizarre costumes to cover up and 'get' the children each time - hilarious!!

2005 - Pre Wedding Hair by Mrs Sinnett
And so, I come to my very special memory indeed - when I got married! Miss Lord, became Mrs Scott. My class at the time and my future class became my 'choir' and sung for me at the front of the church.  The fantastic parents at St Michaels, who had known me since I started in Reception class supported me by donating their time, effort and kindness in more ways than one.  Mrs Evans (mother of Alice and Emily) helped me choose, organised, prepared and delivered my flower bouquets on the day, as well as decorating the church beautifully and with discount - beautiful gerberas (now my favourite flower!), Mrs Sinnett (mother of Rebecca and James, now living in USA!) did my hair for me (or should I say, my fake hair - as I had my hair cut too short for the style I wanted, so we had to find a fake piece to put in and style!!) and of course, the kind donations of money that we were presented with at the end of the day - we spent on honeymoon buying reminders of our time and I still look at and remember the parents of St Michaels. Such a kind-hearted and generous bunch. At the end of my last day before the wedding, the parents and children made me go through an arch while they threw confetti at me - again - I did not stop crying, from the emotion of the moment.  Such a lovely thing to do!
2005 - St Michael's children arrive for Miss Lord's wedding.
2005 - St Michael's children form the choir at Miss Lord's wedding.
And so, 4 years on and I still remember St Michaels with the fondest of memories and wish I could be there with everyone again!! I still regularly see Miss Saunders, Mr Cotterill, Mrs Evans, Miss Evans (occasionally), Mrs Chuter, Mrs Priestman and am in contact with many others, including parents of children I have taught - who scarily are now teenagers (!!).  I love hearing how everyone is getting on and hope it continues for a long time.

Mrs Zoey Scott (nee Lord)

1 comment:

  1. I remember that! I was one of the kids at the wedding! And (I'm sorry to say) that I still refer to you as Miss Lord.

    ReplyDelete