Pages

Wednesday 22 February 2012

Mrs Priestman 1993 – 2002

A note from Mrs Priestman 1993 – 2002

Mrs Priestman 1997
I first came to St Michael’s as a Reception class teacher in 1993 following on from Mrs Craig.  I remember my first day walking around the playground and finding the names and initials of children carved into the wall that had been there since the school opened. It gave me a great sense of belonging to something that had come from a distant past and was moving forward to a bright future.

All those children! Where to begin- yes Frankie Evans I remember your first day at school and how disappointing it was for you. Now I know why – I was always worried it was me!

I do have wonderful memories of so many children: fetes, trips, plays, sports days, swimming and church services. There was a lot of laughter along the way and the education and welfare of the child was (and still is) always at the heart of it. Christmas was such a special time and I will always remember Christmas Services in the church. One year the Nativity took place there and the night before it snowed – the image of the beautiful little angels picking their way across the churchyard was quite magical. (Mrs Edwards has some photos) However, once inside the church those same little angels got quite possessive over the star and a battle ensued in front of the altar causing several of them to fall off the bench! Just one of many, many memories.
Snow Angels - Nativity 1997
I also have many happy memories of all the staff – we were like a family; sharing our celebrations and helping and supporting those in need. The staff room was always full of fun and laughter- often quite manic! Mr Boulain sometimes used to come and tell us off but joined in just the same, Mrs Chuter and I often got the blame but it was Mr Catton and Mr Cotterill who started it! And who could forget Mr Davies? He was quite inspirational in his way moving the school and the staff forward, I learnt so much from him. I have also never met anyone else whose eyebrows moved quite independently of each other! So many of us still keep in touch and remember those times with fondness.

St Michael’s is a special place and will always hold a little corner of my heart. I feel intensely proud and privileged to have played a small part in its 150 year history. I wish you all well for your celebrations and for the next 150 years.

1 comment:

  1. I will always remember how Mrs Preistman and Mrs Chuter, encouraged my son ,David Kaye to learn to dance, from then on, i dont think he has ever stopped,he loved line dancing and all the school shows. He went on to learn ballet and modern and appeared in some local shows, and even now he will encourage people of all ages to get up and dance down the pub to local bands. He always says you are his best teachers along with Mr Cottrel

    ReplyDelete