Pages

Wednesday 15 February 2012

Matthew Stokes 1984-1988

St. Michael’s was, for me, probably the most influential factor of my youth, far more so than comprehensive school. The history of the school really added to the feeling of “family” amongst the pupils and teachers. I remember the 125th anniversary very well, so the 150th has added poignancy. To write about all of my fond memories would be a huge task; the Class 7 Lakeside trip, the summer fetes, learning to swim in the FREEZING pool, the teacher/parents rounder’s game, the excitement of listening to Julian Lloyd Webber (the Southbank Show theme) at assembly, Mr MacLeod’s Tardis, the country dancing, Mr Knot being ridiculously tall, and so many many more. Talking to some of my school “colleagues” via Facebook, it’s amazing that we all have such fond memories over and above any other education we went through.

I still have a great fondness for the school, and have to take a peak whenever I drive past, bring back more memories. Very much looking forward to coming to the 150th celebrations and seeing pupils and staff of the present and the past.

Kind Regards,

Matthew Stokes

No comments:

Post a Comment