Pages

Monday 5 March 2012

Mr David Knott, Headteacher 1983 - 1990

Dear  Katie (Year 5),

Thank you so much for your very kind invitation to attend the celebrations on the 9th March.

Unfortunately I am unable to attend as I live in Thailand which is about 9,600km away. I shall be thinking of you all as you celebrate the 150th anniversary of your  very fine school.

Mr Knott - 1987
As you may know I was the Headteacher of St Michael’s almost 30 years ago, from 1983 to 1990.
We had a similar celebration in 1987 when the school became 125 years old. We had a street party, all dressed up in Victorian clothing, put on an exhibition and a pageant and made a souvenir booklet for pupils, parents and staff to keep as a memento. We also buried a ‘time capsule’ behind the Y5 classroom. I do hope you have managed to locate it and explore its contents. A lot will have changed in the 25 years since it was buried.

I have had a good click around your blog and found it very interesting. There were a few names I recognise. I will try and fins some time next week to add something myself. I have found a couple of photos I can scan (they didn’t have digital cameras then!).

Mr Knott - 2012
I am now the Principal of the Primary School at Bangkok Patana School – the British School in Thailand. The school is very different to St Michael’s. The Primary School has 1,150 pupils (8 classes in each year group) and we have children from 62 countries around the world. Have a look a our web-site www.patana.ac.th and perhaps read some of our student blogs.

I have very happy memories of my 6 years at St Michael’s and remember it being a very happy and caring place. I was very proud to be it’s Headteacher.

Have a wonderful celebration on 9th March. I will be thinking of you!

Please let me know how the celebrations went and pass my best wishes on to anyone who was around when I was there.

Best wishes

David Knott

3 comments:

  1. David, fantastic to hear from you on the blog! Several of "my class" are still in touch via Facebook, and you were a really major part of our school memories...all of them good! (OK, most!) I have heard via some of the parents about your work in Thailand which sounds facinating, glad your work at St Michaels didnt put you off teaching completely. Just British children maybe?! We were lucky to be there for much of your time at St Michaels. Shame you won't be able to visit for the celebrations, I am very much looking forward to seeing how much has changed. Best of luck and many best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Matthew! Have you still got all those freckles? I guess you are a, little taller now. And are you still performing magic? What are you up to now? Have you given up on a show-biz career? Do I remember being served by you at King and Sons many years back? Never gave me a discount I recall!! All the very best, and enjoy the St Michael's celebrations. David Knott

      Delete
  2. Wow, Mr Knott.

    The enormous giant man of my earliest memories.

    I am tempted, as ever, to say a lot but instead will merely say thank you. Very much.

    ReplyDelete