Pages

Thursday 1 March 2012

Mrs Shirley Gaines 1988 - Present Day

Mrs Gaines -1999
I first became involved with St Michael's in June 1988 on our return from Holland. Sarah (my eldest daughter) started school in Year 1 with Mrs Carol Cole. When Hannah (youngest daughter) started school in January 1990, I returned to teaching and am still  supply teaching there after all these years!!

Both girls and I have very happy memories of St Michael's. The same caring and nurturing atmosphere is still there and the children leave well-rounded and polite.

Years later, it still pleases me that former St Michael's pupils always say "Hello" and chat about what they are doing now. Others will say, "Didn't you teach at St Michael's? I remember you reading Funny Bones stories!"

There are so many memories and stories - too many to mention after such a long involvement! One stands out though - I was teaching rounders in the playground with Year 4 (Joe Williams' year) when I walked backwards and fell into the pile of tyres and lay like a stranded beetle unable to get out! Meanwhile the class rolled around the playground laughing, unable to help!

I ran the Netball club for several years and they were very successful and managed to win games and trophies. When I taught Year 5 full-time, we won the Kwik Kricket tournament - that was absolutely brilliant!

I was lucky enough to go on many school trips. Cammie Evans once asked if I ever managed to do any teaching!

I went to Lakeside and Ufton Court - great fun but not much sleep!

I still come in to teach, still getting pleasure from being involved with the school - wonder when I'll stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment