Pages

Thursday 8 March 2012

Mr Rick Catton 1997 - 2001

Mr Rick Catton - 1997

I joined the school in January 1997. It was my second teaching job, and very different from my first school. I was appointed by Mr Davies. His comment about your Ofsted report made me smile, because it reminded me that he forgot to mention to me that the school would be receiving a visit from the inspectors in the second week of term after I joined. I’m pleased to report that after a frantic weekend of preparation, the inspection passed off well, and we were all able to return to normality.

When I first joined St Michael’s, I taught Year 3 in the classroom outside. I seem to recall that we often tried to have a story at the end of the day, or a sing with the guitar. Sometimes the end of the day might have been brought forward a little, so that we could get an extra chapter in, or learn another verse…

Over the next few years, I moved from Year 3, to Year 4, and finished up in Year 5.
On two occasions, that meant that the poor unfortunates in my class had to put up with me for two years – sorry about that! I do remember the tremendous generosity of one set of parents. Having taught their children for two years, I was presented on the last day of term with a small package from the whole class. They knew me well, and my love of all things four-wheeled, because inside was a voucher for a day’s racing at Thruxton. I still have the photographs of me emerging from a single-seater with an enormous grin plastered across my face.

I’ve enjoyed reading the posts from some very familiar faces, and it was odd to find myself on some of the staff photographs. I thought it was terribly rude of Mrs Priestman to suggest that Mr Cotterill and I were usually at the centre of any goings-on in the staffroom, although in all fairness, we did seem to do a lot of laughing during my time at the school, and I always felt part of a very special team during those years. Many’s the time Mr Cotterill, Mr Boulain and myself would meet in the staffroom on a Monday morning and bemoan the weekend performances of Derby County, Southampton FC and Ipswich Town!

There are so many memories of time at St Michael’s, a good many of them involving the kindness, generosity and warmth of everyone at the school. However, for me it was always the Christmases that were special. St Michael’s is so lucky to have such a wonderful church to attend, and I recall very clearly several of our Christmas concerts and carol services.

One year we decided to move the carol service from its traditional afternoon slot to an evening. Coming back to church for the service, and sharing a celebration of Christmas with the children, parents and staff was wonderful. On another occasion, the church floor was undergoing restoration, so we decided to hold the service in the dining hall. Having sent the children home at half past three, the staff worked madly to decorate the hall with greenery (supplied by one of the parents), gold and silver spray and hundreds of tea-lights. There has never been such a magical dining hall as there was on that December evening.

I could go on and on, but that’s probably enough for now. I’ll close by wishing the school, and its current staff and children every success. To those who are unfortunate enough to remember me, my deepest apologies for whatever I may have done. (How long did my face stay in the bin..?)

I shall always remember St Michael’s and my time there with great fondness, and like many other people, find that your school still has a special place in my heart. Enjoy your celebrations, and here’s to the next 150!

No comments:

Post a Comment