Pages

Friday 9 March 2012

Mr Simon Cotterill, Teacher 1998 - 2007

Mr Simon Cotterill
Writing about my memories of the wonderful place that is St. Michael's has quite fittingly taken the form of my preparations for all of those Lakeside evenings of years gone by... I've left it to the very last minute (let's just hope the technology holds out or that a fitness class don't turn up as they did on one instance of a terrible double booking!).  But just as all those years ago it would all come together on the night, I hope that as I sit here on the eve of your 150th birthday I find the words to do justice to just how incredibly privileged I feel to have been a part of such a special place.

In 1998 I stood fresh-faced in front of my very first class of year 6 children, proceeded to pronounce names wrong on the register (sorry Sam - I know you forgave me!), muddled my way through a literacy lesson and hurried to the staff room at break time to recover over a cup of tea, slice of cake (there were always so many cakes – Mrs Thair’s Welsh cakes were a favourite, I do miss them to this day) and plenty of laughter that would lead to friendships to last a lifetime.  That first year was a whirlwind: rugby tournaments ending in runners-up trophies (a familiar theme would emerge, but hey, it gave us something to fill the wonky trophy cabinet that Mr Boulain and myself put up to house the reminders of sporting glories); a lesson observation from Mrs Priestman that would leave us doubled up in laughter for reasons only apparent to us; stapling baubles to the hall ceiling in preparation for Christmas parties; SATS preparation loosely linked to Swallows and Amazons;  the legendary Lakeside; non-stop cricket on a Friday afternoon (was that in the curriculum?); sing-songs with the guitar; leavers services in that most beautiful of churches;  leavers parties that would always end in a victory for the teachers at rounders against the children (due to Mrs Suter’s win-at-all-costs back-stopping!), a good soaking during the waterfight (for the pupils) and drying off in the Duke’s Head afterwards (teachers only).  The list of memories goes on.

And that is what made St. Michael’s, and no doubt still makes it, such a remarkable place.  The endless happy memories and inspiring moments that have made me the person and teacher I am today, long after I walked out of the door, down the driveway and past the tree that always blossomed.  That and the people. Alongside those already mentioned, I recall chats with Mr Catton over the appalling results of Ipswich and Derby; recounting Far-Side moments with Mrs Forbes; Mrs Chuter and I ‘dancing on our feet’ for year 6 booster classes; Miss Lord ‘spooking me’ at Ufton Court; Miss Saunders (my ‘next door neighbour’) in year 5; summer lunchtimes at the field with Mrs Evans; Mrs Malone’s endless chuckling; Mrs Williams’ daily wind-ups – I gave as good as I got! Mrs Gaines ‘berating’ me for leaving coffee cups on her desk during maths; Miss Evans’ clever compositions for the school plays.  And as for all of my teaching assistants - there were so many, I think my disorganisation scared them off!  Mrs Carter would keep me on the straight and narrow in those first ‘rabbit in the headlights’ days, whilst in years to come Mrs Fallows would lead me astray with her crazy sense of humour!  I couldn’t not mention Mrs Peregrine and Mrs Grant in the office, who would always rush out a last minute letter for me with a grovelling smile and a promise from me never to leave things to the last minute again.  As for Mr B, what an inspirational headteacher to work for, who always went over and above for his staff, parents and children.  I still call on him to this day for advice, a friendly chat or the persuasion of a Lakeside trip of our own – without the drying room to sort out, random reindeer (poor Rudolph!), Chomp bars from the tuck shop or the risk of being dumped in the lake by those delightful year 6 children!  Lakeside, what an adventure!
Mr Cotterill at Lakeside
To the lovely staff and inspirational children (who always had so much sparkle and pride in their school) I was lucky enough to work with in my time at St. Michael’s, and the parents who couldn’t have been more friendly and supportive, I thank you one and all for the memories that it’s been a pleasure to sit and recall as I’ve typed away.  I can’t wait to catch up with everyone tomorrow and share in St. Michael’s 150th birthday celebrations – thanks so much for the invite.  Past, present and future, I wish this wonderful school the happiest of birthdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment