Pages

Thursday 8 March 2012

Mrs Carol Cole 1974 - 1990

Mrs Cole - 1981
I started teaching at St Michael's in 1974 first as a part time music teacher and then as a full time infant teacher. I have many fond memories of the school, teachers,and most of all the students that I taught over the years and am looking forward to coming back on Friday to help celebrate 150 years with you!

One of the memories that stick in my mind was teaching the maypole. Stan Maskell the headteacher at the time walked into the staff room with a round dirty brown object and asked if anyone knew what it was-it'd been found in the loft. Eventually we worked out it was the top of a maypole and one of the other teachers- Doris Cox- said her 95 year old mum could remember dancing around the maypole at St Michael's in the 1880's!

I volunteered to teach maypole dancing and by that summer we were performing at the Queen's Silver Jubilee at Sandhurst Rec. We continued performing until 1990 when I retired.Perhaps there will be maypole dancing at the 150th celebration!

See you Friday,

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment